- Indian Navy is ready to induct INS Khanderi.It is the second of six planned Scorpene-class submarines.INS Khanderi is named after Maratha king Chhatrapati Shivaji’s island fort Khanderi.
- Scorpene class submarines is a class of diesel-electric submarine being built under Project-75 by Mazgaon Docks Limited (MDL) with technology transfer from France.It features diesel-electric propulsion and an additional air-independent propulsion (AIP) system.It will have both anti-surface and anti-submarine warfare.
- Conventional diesel-electric submarines have to come to surface every few days to get oxygen to recharge their batteries.With AIP systems, they can stay submerged for much longer periods.
- A submarine is a watercraft capable of independent operation underwater.A submarine is the quietest military platform and extremely tough to detect.Their main cover is their ability to move stealthily under water and keep an eye on enemy movement of vessels.
- Indian Navy currently operates four German HDW class submarines and nine Russian Kilo class submarines.
2 min read