News:President of India has announced the Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar Awards 2019.
- The Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar Awards are given by the Council of Scientific and Industrial Research(CSIR).
- The award is given each year for outstanding contributions to science and technology.
- The award is named after Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar who was the first director-general of the CSIR and the first Chairman of the UGC.
- The prize is given in seven categories namely: (a) Physical Sciences, (b) Chemical Sciences, (c) Biological Sciences, (d) Medical Sciences, (e) Mathematical Sciences, (f) Engineering Sciences and (g) Earth, Atmosphere, Ocean and Planetary Science.
- Any citizen of India engaged in research in any field of science and technology up to the age of 45 years is eligible to be nominated for the award.
- CSIR was established by the Government of India in 1942 as an autonomous body under the Ministry of Science and Technology.
- It has emerged as the largest research and development organisation in India.