News: The Survey of India (SoI), will for the first time, use about 300 drones to map the country
- The map being prepared through the drones will be of 1:500 resolution, meaning 1 cm on the map will represent 500 cm on the ground.
- At present, the best SoI maps have a resolution of 1:2500 meaning a 1 cm on the map represents 2500 cm on the ground.
- The drone mapping will help SoI in getting unprecedented detail of India’s landscape
- It will also help creating high resolution maps of land in villages facilitating the digitisation of land titles in villages
Survey of India
- Survey of India is the national survey and mapping organization of India. It functions under the Department of Science & Technology, Ministry of Science and Technology.
- It was set up in 1767 and is the oldest scientific department of India.
- It provides user focused, cost effective, and reliable and quality geospatial data, information and intelligence to meet the needs of national security, sustainable national development and information markets.