- On the occasion of World Environment Day 2019, the Union Minister for Environment, Forest and Climate Change (MoEFCC) has said that ministry will soon launch an initiative called School Nursery. The initiative would entail school kids planting a seed, nurturing the sapling and on his/her annual result would take the plant to be a trophy.
- Further, a campaign #SelfieWithSapling has been launched. The Environment Minister has urged people to plant a sapling and post the selfie with the sapling on social media.
- World Environment Day is celebrated annually on 5 June. It is an initiative that the United Nations launched in an attempt to effectively combat problems of environmental degradation.
- It was designated by the UN General Assembly in 1972 on the first day of United Nations Conference on the Human Environment. The first World Environment Day was celebrated in 1974.
- Every year, the UN choses a particular theme to draw attention to a pressing environmental concern. The theme for 2019 is “Air pollution”.
- The MoEFCC has also released a song #HawaAaneDe on the subject Air Pollution. The Bhamla Foundation, a NGO, has collaborated with the Ministry on the song.
- Every World Environment Day has a different host country, where the official celebrations take place. World Environment Day 2019 is being hosted by China.
- India hosted 2018’s World Environment Day and centred the occasion on tackling the widespread use of plastic with the theme ‘Beat Plastic Pollution’.
6 min read