News:Researchers at the Centre for Nano and Soft Matter Sciences(CeNS) have developed TriboE masks which can hold electric charges to restrict the entry of infections without any external power.
- The mask is based on electrostatics which uses the principles of triboelectric effect.
- The mask is a three layered structure –a layer of nylon cloth sandwiched between polypropylene layers.
- When the layers are rubbed against each other, static electricity is produced which is expected to restrict the possible transmission of infections.
- Triboelectric effect: It is a type of contact electrification in which certain materials become electrically charged after they are separated from a different material with which they were in contact.
- Example: Rubbing of a plastic pen on a sleeve of almost any typical material like cotton, wool or blended fabric used in modern clothing.Such an electrified pen would readily attract and pick up pieces of paper less than a square centimeter when the pen approaches.