News:Union Minister of Agriculture and Farmers Welfare has inaugurated the celebrations of World Pulses Day in New Delhi.
About World Pulses Day:
- The United Nations World Pulses Day resolution was adopted in 2013 claiming the year 2016 as International Pulses Day.
- Since 2019,World Pulses Day is celebrated by the Food and Agriculture Organization(FAO) of the United Nations to recognize the importance of pulses as a global food.
- The day provides an opportunity to raise awareness about the nutritional benefits of pulses as part of sustainable food production aimed towards food security and nutrition.
- The official designation is also linked to the United Nations 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development.
- Pulses also known as legumes are the edible seeds of leguminous plants cultivated for food.They are the major source of protein in a vegetarian diet.
- The major pulses grown in India are tur (arhar), urad, moong, masur, peas and gram.
- India is the largest producer as well as the consumer of pulses in the world.The major pulse producing states are Madhya Pradesh, Maharashtra, Rajasthan, Uttar Pradesh and Karnataka.
Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO)
- It is a specialized agency of the United Nations that leads international efforts to defeat hunger.It was established in 1945 and is headquartered in Rome,Italy.