News: The Odisha State Disaster Management Authority(OSDMA) has implemented the Tsunami Ready programme in two villages.
- Tsunami Ready Programme: It is a community performance-based programme initiated by the Intergovernmental Oceanographic Commission(IOC) of UNESCO.
- Aim: To promote tsunami preparedness through active collaboration of public, community leaders and national and local emergency management agencies.
- To improve coastal community’s preparedness for tsunami emergencies
- To minimize the loss of life and property and
- To ensure systematic approach in building community preparedness through implementing the best-practice indicators set by the UNESCO-IOC.
- IOC-UNESCO: It was established in 1960 as a body with functional autonomy within UNESCO.It is the only competent organization for marine science within the UN system.