News:Aon, a leading global professional services firm has released its Weather, Climate & Catastrophe Insight:2019 Annual Report.
About the report:
- The report evaluates the impact of global natural disaster events to identify trends, manage volatility and enhance resilience.
Key takeaways from the report:
Report on Global data:
- Global economy suffered a loss of $232 billion due to natural disasters in 2019 which is eighth-costliest in terms of weather-related disasters adjusting for inflation.
- The total count of natural disasters has increased to 409 in 2019 from 394 a year ago.
- Typhoons in Japan and monsoon floods in China hit the hardest causing losses of $30 billion and $15 billion respectively.
Report on India:
- Cyclone Fani which affected Odisha in India and Bangladesh was the tenth-most costly natural disaster in the world.
- The June-October monsoon floods in India caused a loss of $10 billion to be the seventh- costliest.This also led to the death of 1,750 people, the most among all natural disasters last year.