- The World Health Organisation (WHO) has recommended the use of the HIV drug dolutegravir(DTG) as the preferred first-line and second-line treatment for all populations.
- This drug can also be used for patients including pregnant women and those of childbearing potential.
- Dolutegravir(DTG) which is sold under the brand name Tivicay is an antiretroviral medication used together with other medication to treat HIV/AIDS.
- Studies have shown that DTG is more effective,easier to take and has fewer side effects than alternative drugs.It also has a high genetic barrier to developing drug resistance which is important given the rising trend of resistance.
- In 2019,82 low- and middle-income countries reported to be transitioning to DTG-based HIV treatment.The new recommendations aim at helping more nations improve their HIV policies.
- HIV stands for human immunodeficiency virus. It is the virus that can lead to acquired immunodeficiency syndrome (AIDS), if not treated. There are two main types of the virus: HIV-1 and HIV-2. HIV-2.
- At present there is no effective cure for HIV but HIV can be controlled. The medicine used to treat HIV is called antiretroviral therapy or ART.
2 min read