News:The World Migratory Bird Day(WMBD) 2020 was observed on 9th May 2020.
- It was started in 2006 by the secretariats of Convention on the Conservation of Migratory Species of Wild Animals(CMS) and African Eurasian Migratory Waterbird Agreement(AEWA) together with Environment for the Americas(EFTA).
- Since,2018 the day is organized twice a year on the second Saturday in May and in October.
- Aim:To raise global awareness about threats faced by migratory birds, their ecological importance, and need for international cooperation to conserve them.
- Theme: Birds Connect Our World.
- CMS: It is an intergovernmental treaty signed in 1979 in Bonn, Germany and entered into force in 1983 under the aegis of United Nations Environment Programme(UNEP).It aims for conservation and sustainable use of migratory animals and their habitats.
- AEWA: It is an intergovernmental treaty developed under the framework of the CMS and administered by the UNEP.It was founded to coordinate efforts to conserve bird species across Africa, Europe, the Middle East, Central Asia, Greenland and the Canadian Archipelago.