- World Population Day 2019 is observed on July 11
- The Day aims to focus attention on the urgency and importance of population issues.
- World Population Day was established by United Nations Development Programme in 1989.
- 2019 World Population Day calls for global attention to the unfinished business of the 1994 International Conference on Population and Development (ICPD) held in Cairo.
- At IPCD 179 governments adopted a Programme of Action and called for women’s reproductive health and rights to take centre stage in national and global development efforts.
- The Programme of Action is the steering document for the United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA)
- The UNFPA is a UN organization which works to support family planning by ensuring supply of contraceptives, strengthening national health systems and promoting gender equality.
1 min read