News:United Nations World Tourism Organisation (UNWTO) has chosen India as the host country to celebrate World Tourism Day 2019.
- The United Nations World Tourism Day is celebrated on September 27.
- The day aims at creating awareness on social, political, cultural and economic values among international community.
- The theme for this year’s tourism day is ‘Tourism and Jobs: A better future for all’.
- The focus of UNWTO in 2019 is on jobs as tourism generates 10% of world jobs.Hence, creating equitable employment is important to achieve social inclusion, peace and security.
About United Nations World Tourism Organisation(UNWTO):
- The UNWTO is the United Nations Specialised Agency responsible for the promotion of responsible, sustainable and universally accessible tourism.
- It was established in 1975 with headquarters in Madrid, Spain.
- It encourages the implementation of the Global Code of Ethics for Tourism to maximize tourism’s socio-economic contribution while minimizing its possible negative impacts.
- UNWTO’s membership includes 158 countries, 6 Associate Members and over 500 Affiliate Members representing the private sector, educational institutions, tourism associations and local tourism authorities.