- According to the report of the Statistics and Programme Implementation Ministry (MOSPI),Indian Railways accounts for nearly three-fifths of the 344 central sector projects that are facing huge cost overrun due to delay in implementation.
- Cost overrun means spending more money on a project than that was planned in the budget or the actual extra amount that is spent.
- The Ministry of Statistics and Programme Implementation(MOSPI) monitors central sector projects involving an expenditure of ₹150 crore and above.
- After the railways,the power sector reported the second highest incidence of overall cost overrun.Of the 95 projects monitored by the ministry in the power sector,40 projects reported cost overrun.
- Further,the third largest cost escalation was recorded in the road transport and highways sector where out of the 605 monitored projects, as many as 49 reported cost overrun.
1 min read