News:The Ministry of New and Renewable Energy is hosting the 2nd Assembly of International Solar Alliance(ISA) on 31 October 2019 at New Delhi.
- The International Solar Alliance(ISA) is an Indian initiative that was launched by the Prime Minister of India and the President of France in 2015,
- The overarching objective of the ISA is to collectively address key common challenges to the scaling up of solar energy in ISA member countries.
- It also aims to undertake joint efforts required to reduce the cost of finance and the cost of technology needed for massive deployment of solar energy and pave the way for future technologies adapted to the needs.
- The alliance is of 121 solar resource rich countries lying fully or partially between the tropic of Cancer and tropic of Capricorn as prospective members.
- Till now,81 countries of the 121 prospective member countries have signed the Framework Agreement of the ISA.Of these,58 countries have ratified the same.
- The Assembly is the supreme decision making body of the ISA and gives directions on various administrative, financial and programme related issues.