- According to data released by Amnesty India, Uttar Pradesh stood first in India in terms of hate crimes followed by Gujarat and Rajasthan.
- The data were released on the website “Halt the Hate”. It is a website that documents reports of alleged hate crimes in India. Amnesty had started documenting hate crimes in India since the lynching of Mohammad Akhlaq in Dadri, Uttar Pradesh, in September 2015.
- The term ‘hate crime’ is generally applied to criminal acts against people based on their real or perceived membership of a particular group, such as caste, religion or ethnicity, among others.
- In India, 721 incidents of hate crimes have been reported on “Halt the Hate” since September 2015. In 2018, 228 hate crime incidents have been documented. 65% of such cases were against Dalits.
- Amnesty International (also known as Amnesty) is a non-governmental organisation which focuses on human rights. It was founded in 1961 in London. It was awarded Nobel Peace Prize in 1977.
2 min read