News: A proposed “Miya museum” reflecting the culture and heritage of the people living in char-chapouris has stirred up a controversy in Assam.
- Who are the Miyas? The ‘Miya’ community comprises descendants of Muslim migrants from East Bengal (now Bangladesh) to Assam.They came to be referred to as ‘Miyas’, often in a derogatory manner.
- What is Char-chapouris? A char is a floating island while chaporis are low-lying flood-prone riverbanks.It is located in the Brahmaputra River and is primarily inhabited by Miya community.
- Culture of Miya Community:
- They perform an ancient martial art called the Lathiba.
- The community has a variety of songs such as bhatiali Geet related to the river, magan geet or harvest songs, noi khelor geet or boat songs among others.