- A special force will soon be appointed for the protection of rhinos in Kaziranga National Park(KNP),Assam.
- The force will be known as the ‘Special Rhino Protection Force’ and the members of the force will be specially trained to protect the rhinos across the state.
- The Assam government would be paying the salaries of the SRPF members and the amount would be reimbursed by the National Tiger Conservation Authority (NTCA), which recommended setting up of special force.
- Kaziranga National Park(KNP) houses the largest population of One Horned Rhinoceros in the world and has about 68% of the entire world population of One-horned Rhinoceros.
- There are three species of rhino in Asia namely (a)Greater one-horned, (b)Javan and (c)Sumatran.Javan and Sumatran Rhino are critically endangered and the Greater one-horned or Indian rhino is vulnerable In IUCN Red List.
- The National Tiger Conservation Authority is a statutory body under the Ministry of Environment,Forests and Climate Change.NTCA was constituted under enabling provisions of the Wildlife (Protection) Act, 1972 for strengthening tiger conservation.
9 min read