- The Union Public Service Commission(UPSC) has appointed nine non-governmental professionals at joint-secretary level posts in central government department.
- The lateral appointees will have a term of three-years from the date of joining which could be extended to five years depending upon their performance.Compensation and perks offered are on a par with that offered to others at this designation.
- Last year,Government had invited applications for the joint-secretary level posts through the lateral entry mode.The term ‘lateral entry’ in the civil services refers to a move by the government to appoint outsiders in the middle rung of the ministries, especially in the sectors of economy and infrastructure.
- The recruitments have been done in a bid to infuse domain expertise in key government departments and is aimed at bringing in specialized talent in various government departments,contributing to better governance.
- However,various experts were against lateral entry as (a)differences in work culture may often come in the way (b)The width and depth of field experience which the civil services provide is not available with outside talent and (c)Interests and motivation vary from person to person. Therefore,short term entry of officers through lateral entry might lead to corrupt practices.
2 min read