News:Recently,Steppe Eagle (Aquila nipalensis) has been sighted in Andhra Pradesh during Asian Bird Census.
About Steppe Eagle:
- The Steppe Eagle (Aquila nipalensis) is a large eagle with broad, long wings and a short rounded tail.
- They are listed as Endangered under the IUCN Red list.
- They are migratory raptor which has undergone extremely rapid population declines within all its range.
- They breeds in Russia, Kazakhstan, and Mongolia during the winter season.They are also the second-largest migratory eagle species to India.
- The Steppe Eagle appears on the flag of Kazakhstan.It is also the National bird (animal) of Egypt and appears on its flag.
- The threats for Steppe Eagle includes (a)habitat loss (b)died due to diclofenac (c)electrocution among others.