News:Afghanistan has become the first country to recognise the Indian Pharmacopoeia standards for drugs & medicines.
About Indian Pharmacopoeia(IP):
- Indian Pharmacopoeia(IP) is an officially recognized book of standards as per the Drugs and Cosmetics Act, 1940, and Rules 1945 thereunder.
- The IP specifies the standards of drugs manufactured and marketed in India in terms of their identity, purity and strength.
- In order to ensure the quality of medicinal products, the legal and scientific standards are provided by Indian Pharmacopoeia Commission (IPC) in the form of Indian Pharmacopoeia(IP).
About Indian Pharmacopoeia Commission(IPC):
- Indian Pharmacopoeia Commission (IPC) is an Autonomous Institution of the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Govt. of India.IPC is created to set standards of drugs in the country.
- Its basic function is to update regularly the standards of drugs commonly required for treatment of diseases prevailing in this region.
- It publishes official documents for improving Quality of Medicines by way of adding new and updating existing monographs in the form of Indian Pharmacopoeia (IP).
- It further promotes rational use of generic medicines by publishing National Formulary of India.
- It also prescribes standards for identity, purity and strength of drugs essentially required from health care perspective of human beings and animals.