News:Council of Scientific and Industrial Research- Institute of Himalayan Bioresource Technology (CSIR-IHBT) is developing low cost hydroponics system.
- Hydroponics is the technique of growing plants without soil by using water solvent which consists of mineral nutrients.
- Hydroponic systems are engineered as a highly space and resource efficient form of farming and represent a considerable source of industrially grown produce.
- The method is suitable for growing greens and herbs as they don’t have deep roots.
Benefits of Hydroponics:
- Hydroponics provides higher yield and economic returns compared to traditional agricultural practices because of an increase in harvest cycles and balanced nutrient supply.
- Hydroponics system is not affected by weather, wild animals and any of the other external biotic or abiotic factors.
- In addition to these benefits hydroponic system also makes less and efficient utilization of water.
- No nutrition pollution is released into the environment because of the controlled system.
- It requires high technical knowledge and training before starting the process.
- Without soil as a buffer,any failure to the hydroponic system leads to rapid plant death.