News:Airports Authority of India(AAI) is in the process of seeking environmental clearance from the Ministry of Environment,Forest and Climate Change for water aerodromes in Andaman & Nicobar Islands.
About Water Aerodromes:
- A water aerodrome is an area of open water that can be used by seaplanes as well as amphibious aircraft to land and take off.
- Such aircraft are expected to take people across water faster and more safely than local boats
- Moreover,depending on the volume of traffic,water aerodrome may have a terminal building on the shore or on a jetty where planes can dock, and bays where they can be parked.
- The water drones are present in some island nations especially in the richer ones like the British Virgin Islands.
- Also,there are few in Canada, including Yellowknife on the Great Slave Lake, Tofino on Vancouver Island and Whitehorse on Schwatka Lake.
Guidelines for setting up water Aerodromes:
- The water aerodrome could be set up near locations of tourist and religious importance.
- The water aerodrome cannot be used for scheduled air transport services without licence.
- An entity seeking to set up a water aerodrome has to take approvals from various authorities including the Ministries of Defence, Home, Environment and Forests and Shipping.
Advantages of Water Aerodrome:
- The water Aerodromes will promote tourism as well as connect places of religious importance.
- It will enhance air connectivity in the country by allowing amphibian planes which can operate in both land and water.
- It will create employment in the Andaman & Nicobar Islands.