News: Haryana State has topped the Anemia Mukt Bharat(AMB) Index among 29 states in the country.
- Anemia Mukt Bharat: It is an initiative of the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare and UNICEF.
- Aim: To reduce the prevalence of Anemia all over India.
- Implementation: It provides preventive and curative mechanisms through a 6x6x6 strategy including six target beneficiaries, six interventions and six institutional mechanisms for all stakeholders to implement the strategy.
- Target Beneficiaries: The target beneficiaries are Children (6-59 months), Children(5-9 years), Adolescent Girls & Boys of 10-19 years, Women of Reproductive Age (15-49 years), Pregnant Women and Lactating Mothers.
- Target Interventions: Prophylactic Iron and Folic Acid supplementation, Deworming, Intensified Year round behaviour change communication activities, Testing of anemia using digital methods, Mandatory provision of Iron and Folic Acid fortified foods in government-funded health programmes and Addressing non-nutritional causes of anemia.
- Anaemia: It is a condition in which the number of red blood cells or their oxygen-carrying capacity is insufficient to meet physiological needs which vary by age, sex, altitude, smoking and pregnancy status.