- Indian Army has decided to induct an additional 460 Russian-origin upgraded T-90 ‘Bhishma’ battle tanks.This comes after the cabinet committee on security had earlier cleared the license acquisition from Russia.
- The order to produce the 464 T-90 tanks will soon be given to Avadi Heavy Vehicle Factory(HVF) which works under the Ordnance Factory Board.These tanks would be equipped with thermal imaging night sights to allow the tank commander to strike enemy locations during night battles.
- The new inductions will also strengthen the Army’s fire-power along the land border stretch with Pakistan from Jammu in the north till the western flank in Gujarat.
- This move comes at a time when the Army is reformatting its entire war-fighting machinery and the Cold start or Pro-Active Strategy which envisages fast mobilisation to strike hard across the border with multiple offensive thrusts.
- Further,Pakistan has also drawn up a plan to procure close to 600 battle tanks including T-90 tanks from Russia.
5 min read