- Stockholm International Peace Research Institute(SIPRI) has launched a new initiative called Global Registry of Violent Deaths(GReVD) to establish the annual number of violent deaths worldwide.
- SIPRI’s Global Registry of Violent Deaths (GReVD) will count the deaths caused by all forms of violence and display these in an open-source database.
- This will allow researchers,policymakers and the general public to track trends in violence at global, regional, national, provincial, city and municipal levels.
- The database will hold a single entry for every violent death including time,location,perpetrator,victim and type of violence.The first-phase of the project is funded by the Swedish Postcode Foundation and the United Kingdom’s Department for International Development.
- SIPRI is an international institute based in Sweden dedicated to research into (a)conflict (b)armaments (c)arms control and (d) disarmament.It provides data analysis and recommendations based on open sources to policymakers,researchers,media and the interested public
5 min read