News:The National Democratic Front of Bodoland (NDFB(S)) has signed a tripartite agreement with the central and Assam governments to suspend operations and join peace talks with the government.
- An outfit named Bodo Security Force(BdSF) was formed in 1986.In 1994,the BdSF renamed itself as the National Democratic Front of Bodoland(NDFB).
- The outfit is an armed separatist outfit which seeks to obtain a sovereign Bodoland for the Bodo people.
- The group has carried out several attacks in Assam targeting non-Bodo civilians as well as the security forces.
- In 2008,NDFB was divided into two factions namely NDFB(Progressive) and NDFB (RD).In 2012 NDFB(RD) again broke away and the NDFB(S) faction was formed.
- Currently,all these factions are in peace talks with the Union Government of India.
- Bodos are the single largest tribal community in Assam making up over 5-6% of the state’s population.They have controlled large parts of Assam in the past.
- The Bodos have had a long history of separatist demands marked by armed struggle.They demanded for a separate state called Bodoland.
- This demand led to the signing of Bodo Accord in 2003.The accord provides for the establishment of a Bodoland Territorial Council under Sixth Schedule of the Constitution of India.
- The four districts in Assam namely Kokrajhar, Baksa, Udalguri and Chirang constitutes the Bodo Territorial Area District(BTAD).