News:The International Organisation for Migration has released the Global Migration Report 2020.
About Global Migration Report:
- Global Migration Report is International Organisation for Migration’s (IOM) flagship publication.
- It features trends in international migration, discusses emerging policy issues and provides regional recent developments in Africa, America, Asia, Europe, the Middle East and Oceania.
Key takeaways from the report:
- The number of international migrants globally in 2019 were around 272 million which is 3.5% of the world’s population.
- India had the largest number of migrants living abroad (17.5 million), followed by Mexico and China (11.8 million and 10.7 million respectively).
- The top destination country remained the United States with 50.7 million international migrants.
- The top 3 remittance recipients were India (USD 78.6 billion), China (USD 67.4 billion) and Mexico (USD 35.7 billion).
- The United States remained the top remittance-sending country (USD 68.0 billion) followed by the United Arab Emirates (USD 44.4 billion) and Saudi Arabia (USD 36.1 billion).
- Between 2013 and 2017,high-income countries experienced a slight drop in migrant workers.But upper middle-income countries observed the biggest increase.
- The number of internally displaced persons due to violence and conflict has reached 41.3 million.
- Syria had the highest number of people displaced, followed by Colombia and the Democratic Republic of the Congo.
- Bangladesh had the largest number of stateless persons followed by Côte d’Ivoire and Myanmar.
About International Organisation for Migration(IOM):
- International Organisation for Migration(IOM) is an intergovernmental organization established in 1951.It is headquartered at Geneva, Switzerland.
- It provides services and advice concerning migration to governments and migrants including internally displaced persons, refugees, and migrant workers.
- It was initially established as the Intergovernmental Committee for European Migration (ICEM) to help resettle people displaced by World War II.
- In September 2016,IOM became a related organization of the United Nations.
- Currently,it consists of 173 member states with eight states holding observer status.