News: World Meteorological Organization(WMO) has released a report titled “The Global Annual to Decadal Climate Update”.
- The Global Annual to Decadal Climate Update report is led by the United Kingdom’s Met Office.
- Aim: To provide a climate outlook for the next five years by harnessing the expertise of internationally acclaimed climate scientists and the best computer models from leading climate centres around the world.
- Global Temperature: Annual global temperature is likely to be at least 1°C warmer than pre industrial levels (defined as the 1850-1900 average) in each of the coming 5 years.
- However, the possibility of average global temperature rising by 1.5°C in the next 5 years is increasing with time.
- Paris agreement: It was adopted at the UNFCCC COP21 held in Paris in 2015.It aims to keep global temperature rise in the 21st century well below 2 degrees Celsius above pre-industrial levels and pursue efforts to limit the temperature increase even further to 1.5 degrees Celsius.
- World Meteorological Organization(WMO): It is an intergovernmental organization established by the ratification of the WMO Convention in 1950.
- Members: 193 Member States and Territories.
- Significance: It is a specialized agency of the United Nations (UN).
- Headquarters: Geneva, Switzerland.