News: The National Intelligence Grid(NATGRID) has signed a memorandum of understanding with the National Crime Records Bureau(NCRB) to access the centralised online database on FIRs and stolen vehicles.This will give NATGRID access to the Crime and Criminal Tracking Network and Systems (CCTNS) database.
- NATGRID: It is an integrated intelligence grid that connects databases of core security agencies with an aim to collect comprehensive patterns of intelligence that can be readily accessed by intelligence agencies.
- Need of NATGRID: The necessity for the NATGRID came after India’s terror attack in Mumbai in 2009 which exposed the deficiency of the security agencies who have no mechanism to look for vital information in real-time.
- Concerns: NATGRID has faced opposition on charges of possible violations of privacy and leakage of confidential personal information.
- CCTNS: It is a project initiated in 2009 with the aim to integrate a database on crime incidents, FIR registrations, investigations and chargesheets of all 15,500 police stations and 6,000 higher offices.The nodal implementing agency is National Crime Records Bureau(NCRB).
- NCRB: It is an attached office of the Ministry of Home Affairs that is responsible for collecting and analysing crime data as defined by the Indian Penal Code (IPC) and Special and Local Laws(SLL).