News:Bali Yatra which is one of the biggest trade fairs of Odisha, is scheduled to begin on November 12,2019.
About Bali Yatra:
- Bali Jatra is also known as Bali Yatra and Boita Bandaṇa.It literally means A Voyage to Bali.
- This festival is held in Odisha in the city of Cuttack at Gadagadia Ghata of the Mahanadi river.
- The festival is celebrated every year from the day of Kartika Purnima according to the Odia Calendar which comes around the end of October and November.
- It is celebrated to mark the day when ancient Sadhabas (Odia mariners) would set sail to distant lands of Bali, as well as Java , Sumatra and Sri Lanka for trade and cultural expansion.
- People of Odisha gather near banks of Mahanadi, Brahmani river, other river banks, ponds to float miniature toy boats, made of colored paper as a symbolic gesture of their ancestors’ voyage.