- Bangladesh High Commissioner to India has called for greater cooperation between the two countries to accelerate the growth for the benefits of their people.
- He pointed out trade,investment,connectivity and energy as the three key areas of immediate focus.
- Referring to the Rohingya refugees in Bangladesh,he said that Bangladesh seeks continuous support of India and international community to put pressure on Myanmar for taking back their citizens.
- He said that the ultimate solution to the crisis can come only when Myanmar recognizes Rohingyas as their citizens and takes over a million of refugees back home.
- Rohingya is an ethnic group largely comprising Muslims who predominantly live in the Western Myanmar province of Rakhine.In Myanmar,they are they are classified as “resident foreigners” or as “associate citizens”
- Lakhs of Rohingyas have fled to neighbouring countries like Bangladesh and India after facing religious and ethnical persecution in Myanmar. This has led to a historic migration crisis and a large humanitarian crisis.
7 min read