News:Recently,Scientists have mapped the complete genome of two basmati rice varieties.
About the findings:
- Basmati 334: It comes from Pakistan known to be drought tolerant and resistant to rice-killing bacterial blight.
- Dom Sufid: It comes from Iran, an aromatic long-grain rice that is one of the most expensive on the market.
- Further,the most genetic material in basmati comes from a) japonica —a rice group found in East Asia followed by b) aus rice group found in Bangladesh.
About Genome Sequencing:
- Genome sequencing means determining the order of the four chemical building blocks called bases that make up the DNA molecule.
- It is an important tool for studying plants and improving crop varieties.