- Cabinet has approved Rs. 4,900 crore for Kosi-Mechi interlinking project in Bihar.This is the second river interlinking project after the Ken-Betwa project in Madhya Pradesh.
- This decision was taken as every year floods had become a major reason for destruction.Hence,interlinking of Kosi and Mechi can provide a little relief to Bihar.
- This project will provide a diversion to the surplus water of Kosi River through existing Hanuman Nagar barrage to Mechi River of Mahananda basin.
- Further,Mechi River will also get water from another source and it will become a vast natural resource of irrigation.
- This project has a possibility to escort the next green revolution in Seemanchal region.The project also does not involve displacement of population and there is no diversion of any forest land.
- Ken-Betwa Interlinking is country’s first river interlinking project that will connect two rivers in Madhya Pradesh.
- The project aims to transfer surplus water of Ken River to the Betwa basin through a concrete canal to irrigate India’s worst drought-prone Bundelkhand region.
2 min read