News:India is hosting the first-ever BIMSTEC nations conference on combating drug trafficking in New Delhi.
About the conference:
- The conference has been organised by the Narcotics Control Bureau (NCB).
- Aim:To provide an opportunity to all the member nations to deliberate on the increased threats posed by drug trafficking and the collective steps that were required to negate such threats.
About Narcotics Control Bureau(NCB):
- NCB was constituted by the Government of India in 1986 under the Narcotic Drugs and Psychotropic Substances Act,1985.
- It is the apex coordinating agency under the Ministry of Home Affairs.
About Narcotic Drugs and Psychotropic Substances Act,1985:
- The National Policy on Narcotic Drugs and Psychotropic Substances is based on the Directive Principles contained in Article 47 of the Indian Constitution,
- Article 47 directs the State to endeavour to bring about prohibition of the consumption except for medicinal purposes of intoxicating drugs injurious to health.
- The Bay of Bengal Initiative for Multi-Sectoral Technical and Economic Cooperation (BIMSTEC) is an international organization founded in 1997.It is headquartered in Dhaka, Bangladesh.
- It comprises seven Member states namely Bangladesh, India, Myanmar, Sri Lanka, Thailand, Bhutan, and Nepal.