News:The Borders Road Organization has opened a bridge across Teesta river under Project Swastik.
About Teesta River:
- The Teesta River originates in the Himalayas and flows through Sikkim and West Bengal to merge with the Brahmaputra in Assam and (Jamuna in Bangladesh).
- Flowing through the length of Sikkim, the Teesta River is considered to be the lifeline of the state.
- The dispute over Teesta is the most contentious issue between India and Bangladesh.
- However, the Teesta river water sharing agreement has not been signed due to opposition from West Bengal.(River is a State subject and is notable in this context).
About Border Roads Organisation(BRO):
- BRO was formed in 1960 to secure India’s borders and develop infrastructure in remote areas of the north and north-east states of the country.
- It has been under the control of the Ministry of Defence since 2015.