News: C40 World Mayors Summit is being held at Copenhagen, Denmark
C40 Good Food Cities Declaration
- It was signed by the mayors of Barcelona, Copenhagen, Guadalajara, Lima, London, Los Angeles, Milan, Oslo, Paris, Quezon City, Seoul, Stockholm, Tokyo and Toronto.
- As part of the declaration, mayors of these cities will work towards implementing a ‘planetary health diet’ for all by 2030. It will be balanced and nutritious food, based on the culture, geography, and demography of the cities.
- They will also change the food procurement policies to make healthy, delicious and low-carbon food affordable and accessible for all and also reduce food loss and waste by 50%.
Clean Air Cities Declaration
- It was signed by Mayors of 35 cities. Delhi is one of the signatory.
- They will implement radical clean air policies by 2025. Steps will include: like low- or zero-carbon public transport, zero-emissions zones, promoting cleaner fuels and air quality monitoring.
- C40 is a network of the world’s megacities taking action to address climate change.
- It is a group of 94 cities around the world that represents one-twelfth of the world’s population and one-quarter of the global economy.
- The summit was launched in London in 2005 when the then London Mayor convened representatives from 18 megacities.
- C40 supports cities to collaborate effectively, share knowledge and drive meaningful, measurable and sustainable action on climate change.
- The aim of the summit is also to show how cities are delivering their strong commitments for healthier, sustainable, resilient and inclusive future.