News:The Union Cabinet has given its approval to introduce the Aircraft (Amendment) Bill,2019.
About the Aircraft amendment Bill:
- The Aircraft amendment Bill,2019 aims to carry out amendments to the Aircraft Act,1934.
- The Bill enhances the maximum limit of fine from the existing ₹10 lakhs to ₹one crore.
- The bill also enlarges the scope of the Act to include regulation of all areas of air navigation.
- The amendments also aims to fulfill the safety requirements of the International Civil Aviation Organisation (ICAO).
- This bill also allows the three regulatory bodies in the civil aviation sector in India namely Directorate General of Civil Aviation(DGCA), Bureau of Civil Aviation Security(BCAS) and Aircraft Accident Investigation Bureau (AAIB) to become more effective in the level of safety and security of aircraft operations in the country.
- International Civil Aviation Organisation (ICAO) is a specialized agency of the United Nations charged with coordinating and regulating international air travel.
- ICAO was established in 1944 by Convention on International Civil Aviation(Chicago Convention).It is headquartered in Quebec,Canada.
- It codifies the principles and techniques of international air navigation and fosters the planning and development of international air transport to ensure safe and orderly growth.
- ICAO council is composed of 36 states which are elected for a three-year term.