- The Union Cabinet has approved the creation of an additional post of Deputy Comptroller and Auditor General(Coordination, Communication and Information System) in the office of the Comptroller and Auditor General (CAG) of India.
- The Deputy Comptroller and Auditor General shall oversee the (a)coordination among state audits (b)audit of telecommunication and (c)coordinate the various information systems initiatives within the Indian Audit and Accounts Department.
- The Comptroller and Auditor General (CAG) of India is an authority established by Article 148 of the Constitution of India.The CAG is appointed by the President of India following a recommendation by the Prime Minister.
- CAG audits all receipts and expenditure of the Government of India and the state governments,including those of bodies and authorities substantially financed by the government.CAG is also the head of the Indian Audit and Accounts Department,the affairs of which are managed by officers of Indian Audit and Accounts Service.
- The CAG is also the external auditor of Government-owned corporations and conducts supplementary audit of government companies in which Union Government has an equity share of at least 51% or subsidiary companies of existing government companies.
- The reports of the CAG are taken into consideration by the Public Accounts Committees (PACs) and Committees on Public Undertakings (COPUs).
2 min read