- The Union Cabinet has approved Inter-State River Water Disputes (Amendment) Bill, 2019.
- The bill seeks to amend the Inter State River Water Disputes Act, 1956.
- It aims to streamline the adjudication of inter-state water disputes and make the present institutional architecture robust.
- The bill provides for dissolution of existing tribunals. A key feature of the bill is the constitution of a single tribunal with different Benches. It also provides for setting strict timelines for adjudication.
- The Bill also proposes a Dispute Resolution Committee set up by the Central Government for resolving inter-State water disputes within 18 months.
- Article 262 of Constitution deals with adjudication of disputes relating to matters of inter-state rivers or river valleys.
- Article 262(2) states that neither the Supreme Court nor any other Court shall exercise jurisdiction in respect of any such dispute.
- Note: Water is a State subject.
1 min read