News:The Union Cabinet has approved an MoU between India and the Republic of Cote d’Ivoire on Cooperation in the field of Health.
About Côte d’Ivoire:
- Côte d’Ivoire or Ivory Coast is located on the south coast of West Africa.
- It’s political capital is Yamoussoukro while its economic capital and largest city is the port city of Abidjan.The official language of the republic is French.
- It borders Guinea and Liberia to the west, Burkina Faso and Mali to the north, Ghana to the east and the Gulf of Guinea (Atlantic Ocean) to the south.
India and Côte d’Ivoire Relations:
- India and Côte d’Ivoire have traditionally enjoyed cordial and friendly relations.
- India established its Embassy in Abidjan in 1979 while Côte d’Ivoire opened its Resident Mission in New Delhi in September 2004.
- India is also facilitating the development of an IT-cum-Technology Park in Abidjan, named after Mahatma Gandhi.
About Techno-Economic Approach for Africa–India Movement(TEAM–9):
- India launched the TEAM-9 initiative in 2004 with eight energy- and resource-rich West African countries including Ivory Coast, Senegal, Mali, Guinea-Bissau, Ghana, and Burkina Faso.
- It aims to engage the underdeveloped yet resource-wealthy countries of West Africa which require both low-cost technology and investment to develop their infrastructure.