News:Union Cabinet has cleared the acquisition of 24 MH-60 Seahawk helicopters for the Indian Navy from the United States.
About Seahawk Helicopter:
- The Seahawks are a multi-mission maritime helicopter developed by Lockheed Martin.
- They are deployed by the US Navy as its primary anti-submarine warfare and anti-surface weapons system for open ocean and littoral zones (near shore areas).
- The helicopters are likely to be equipped with Hellfire air-to-surface missiles and Mark 54 anti-submarine torpedoes.
- They can perform a variety of functions including (a)anti-submarine warfare (b)anti-surface warfare, (c)surveillance (d)communications relay (e)combat search and rescue (f)naval gunfire support and (g)logistics support.
- Torpedo is a cigar-shaped, self-propelled underwater missile launched from a submarine, surface vessel, or airplane.They are designed for exploding upon contact with the hulls of surface vessels and submarines.