- The Central Administrative Tribunal(CAT) has stayed the sacking of two of the 15 senior tax officials who were compulsorily retired over charges of corruption and inefficiency.
- Recently,the Central Government had compulsorily retired 15 senior customs and central excise officials.
- The orders issued by the Finance Ministry had invoked rule 56(j) of the Fundamental Rules.Rule 56 covers Group ‘A & B’ officers who entered service before 35 years of age and have attained 50 years of age.
- A review is carried out on a quarterly basis, including officials and employees facing serious allegations of corruption.If the review committee finds the allegations to be true,it recommends compulsory retirement and the order is then signed by the President.
- The CAT was established under Article 323A of the Constitution for adjudicating disputes and complaints with respect to recruitment and conditions of service of persons appointed to public services.
5 min read