- The Centre and the Assam government has moved to the Supreme Court urging an extension of the July 31st 2019 deadline for submission of the final National Register of Citizens (NRC).
- The Centre has also sought a 20 % sample re-verification of names included in the final draft of the NRC in the districts bordering Bangladesh and a 10% sample re-verification in the remaining districts.
- The National Register of Citizens (NRC) is a register which contains the name of all citizens of India residing in Assam. It was first prepared in 1951.
- Currently, the NRC is being updated in Assam to address the issue of illegal migrants. It seeks to identify illegal migrants in Assam who had entered the state on or after 25th March 1971.
- The update is being carried out under the Citizenship Act, 1955, and according to rules framed in the Assam Accord, 1985.
- The draft Assam NRC was published on July 30, 2018 in which the names of 2.89 crore of the 3.29 crore people were included.
2 min read