- The Environment Ministry has put forward draft Environmental and Social Management Framework (ESMF). It is a part of World Bank funded project called Enhancing Coastal and Ocean Resource Efficiency Program (ENCORE).
- ENCORE aims to strengthen integrated coastal zone management in all coastal States and Union Territories of India. It seeks to strengthen coastal resource efficiency and resilience, for adopting and implementing integrated coastal management approaches.
- The draft ESMF lays out guidelines out for coastal States to adopt when they approve and regulate projects in coastal zones. It also outlines how environmental and social aspects should be integrated into the planning, design, implementation of projects.
- The MoEFCC had launched an Integrated Coastal Zone Management Project by establishing a Society of Integrated Coastal Management (SICOM).
- Integrated Coastal Zone Management is a strategy for an integrated approach to planning and management for environmentally sustainable development in coastal areas.
- Among coastal states, Gujarat, Odisha and West Bengal have prepared Integrated Coastal Zone Management Plans with support from the World Bank.
2 min read