News:According to a recent study,Chinese paddlefish which is a native of the Yangtze River system has been declared extinct.
About Chinese Paddlefish:
- Chinese Paddlefish is also known as Chinese swordfish.It is one of the world’s largest freshwater fish species.
- It inhabits the Yangtze River basin.The largest Chinese paddlefish may grow up to 3 metres in length and weigh 300 kg.
- It has been listed on the IUCN’s Red List as critically endangered since 1996.However,Scientists have now declared it as an extinct species.
- The Chinese Paddlefish along with American Paddlefish were the only two extant members of a relict lineage that was most diverse and widespread 34-75 million years ago.
- The factors that contributed to the Chinese paddlefish’s extinction includes (a)construction of a dam along the Yangtze River basin (b)overfishing (c)habitat loss and (d)pollution.
Note:American paddlefish is a native of the Mississippi River.It is listed as vulnerable under IUCN Red list.