- The two-day BRICS foreign ministers was held in Rio de Janeiro,Brazil. This meeting was held in preparation for the 11th BRICS summit in November,2019.
- During the meeting,the foreign ministers called on all States to prevent the financing of terrorist networks and terrorist actions from their territories.
- BRICS nations also said that a comprehensive approach is necessary to ensure effective results against terrorism.The comprehensive approach should include (a)countering radicalisation (b)recruitment (c)travel of foreign terrorist fighters (d)blocking sources and channels of terrorist financing (e)dismantling terrorist bases and (f)countering misuse of the Internet by terrorist entities.
- The ministers has also called for an adoption of the Comprehensive Convention on International Terrorism(CCIT) in the UN General Assembly.
- The five nations also reaffirmed their commitment to support international cooperation in combating illicit financial flows from all types of criminal activity including within the Financial Action Task Force(FATF) and the World Customs Organisation(WCO).
- The ministers also agreed to further deepen BRICS three-pillar-driven cooperation in the areas of economy, peace and security and people-to-people exchanges.
- BRICS nations also reiterated the urgent need to strengthen and reform the multilateral system including the UN, the WTO, the IMF and other international organisations.
- However,there was a conflicting views on (a)Political crisis in Venezuela and (b)on the approach to the crisis in the Persian Gulf.
2 min read