News:Union Culture Minister has said that a plan to restore the Konark Sun temple in Odisha would be drawn up soon.
About Konark Sun Temple:
- Konark Sun Temple is located in East Odisha near the sacred city of Puri, Odisha.
- It was built in the 13th century by King Narasimhadeva I (AD 1238-1264) of the Eastern Ganga Dynasty.The temple is dedicated to the Hindu God Surya.
- The temple was given the status of a World Heritage Site in 1984 by UNESCO.
- It is a classic example of the Odisha style of Architecture or Kalinga Architecture.
Major Characteristics of the Temple:
- The temple has been built from Khondalite rocks.The temple complex has the appearance of a 100-foot high solar chariot, with 24 wheels and pulled by six horses all carved from stone.
- The temple is carefully oriented towards the east so that the first rays of sunrise strikes the principal entrance.
- The temple was also known as Black Pagoda due to its tower which appeared as black and was also used as a navigational landmark by sailors to Odisha.
- Thousands of Hindu pilgrims gather here every year for the Chandrabhaga Mela.