News:Environmental organisations from across the central and eastern Europe Countries have criticised the proposed Danube-Oder-Elbe Canal project.
About Danube-Oder-Elbe Canal:
- The Danube-Oder-Elbe canal intends to connect the three rivers Danube, Oder and Elbe.
- This will provide an alternate route of navigation from Black Sea to Baltic Sea and North seas.
- However, several environmental organizations have raised concerns against the construction of the canal as it will increase risks of flooding.
About Black Sea:
- The Black Sea is an inland sea located between far-southeastern Europe and the far-western edges of the continent of Asia and the country of Turkey.
- It is bordered by Turkey, Bulgaria, Romania, Ukraine, Russia and Georgia.
- The Baltic Sea is positioned in Northern Europe.It is bordered by Sweden, Finland, Russia, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, northeastern Germany and Denmark.
- The North Sea is a part of the Atlantic Ocean.It is bordered by the UK, Denmark, Norway, Germany, the Netherlands, Belgium and France.