News:The Ministry of Shipping have given approval for the development of Loktak Inland Waterways improvement project in Manipur.
About the Project:
- The project will develop the Inland water transport connectivity in North East States and give a boost to the tourism sector.
- The project is approved under the Central Sector Scheme(CSS).
- The project will be implemented under the Ministry of Shipping.
About the Loktak lake:
- Loktak lake is the largest freshwater lake in North east located at Moirang in Manipur.
- The lake is famous for its phumdis floating over it which are formed naturally.
- Phumdis are the floating mass of entangled vegetation formed by the accumulation of organic debris and biomass with soil.
- Keibul Lamjao National Park which is the only floating National Park in the world is located on the Loktak Lake.
- The sangai deer which is an endemic and endangered subspecies of brow-antlered deer is found only in the Keibul Lamjao National Park, Manipur.
- The species is listed as Endangered(EN) in IUCN Red list.