News:Union Health Minister Dr Harsh Vardhan is set to take charge as the chairman of the WHO Executive Board at its 147th session.
- The World Health Organization(WHO) is governed by two decision making bodies — the World Health Assembly and the Executive Board.
- Composition: The Executive Board is composed of 34 members technically qualified in the field of health with members being elected for three-year terms.
- Chairman: It is held by rotation for one year by each of the WHO’s six regional groups: African Region, Region of the Americas, South-East Asia Region, European Region, Eastern Mediterranean Region and Western Pacific Region.
- Meeting: The Board meets at least twice a year once usually in January and then in May.
- Functions: To give effect to the decisions and policies of the World Health Assembly, to advise it and generally to facilitate its work.
- World Health Assembly: It is the forum through which the World Health Organization(WHO) is governed by its 194 member states.It generally meets every year in Geneva, Switzerland to determine the policies of the Organization, appoint the Director-General, supervise financial policies among others.